Hey, Lazy! Yeah, you! Thinking about holiday cards? Still on the fence? You came to the right place.
Below you will find 5 Reasons to Stop Being Lazy and Send Holiday Cards This Year.
1. Greeting cards were cool before you even existed (i.e. a hipster's dream come true).Believe it or not, there was a time when the words human beings sent to one another were hand-written or typed on real paper. (Shocking, but true.) Furthermore, the holidays used to be a time when Christmas cards received by friends and loved ones would be strung about the home as a sign of love, friendship and festivity.
Rekindle a part of history, get your shit together, and send a freaking card that your friends can touch and point to and say "Yeah, this holiday greeting is on PAPER, and I feel loved, yo."
2. You love your friends (for now).
Sure, you text your friends on the reg, but those texts aren't in your own writing. You might send a nice animated gif every now and then, but the joy experienced by the recipient is fleeting.
You see, texts and gifs aren't physical objects that can can be found in a drawer 10 years from now, after you and your friend have had a brutal falling out (probably over something trivial), that can remind them, "Hey, I was once actually friends with this asshole. Wow."
Give that special someone the therapeutic gift of future closure, by sending them a card they can cherish for a few years... and then symbolically burn once your expired friendship has also been reduced to ashes.
3. The joy of receiving a hand-written, hand-mailed, and hand-delivered card knows no bounds.
If you don't already know this, then you're not receiving enough cards to your mailing address (see definition below) and we feel very sorry for you. You need better friends.
4. You need to practice your handwriting, fool.
Have you ever thought about what you'd do if your phone suddenly ceased to exist? Let's be honest here... can you even write a full sentence? (Yeah, we didn't think so.)
Practice your hand writing and sentence construction by buying a card, finding a real pen, and writing some fancy (and/or casual) words to your real (and/or imaginary) acquaintances.
5. Mailing addresses are definitely still a thing.
Did you know? Your friends have a place where they live. It has a building number, a street name, maybe even a unit or apartment number, and a zip code. This collection of information is called a mailing address. Believe it or not, each person has their own mailing address, and each one is completely unique! (Like fingerprints and snowflakes! And you have one, too!) Mailing addresses have historically been used to send written communication, like fun letters and cards, but have evolved over the years to mostly receive boring bills and ads. Eww.
Follow these easy steps to use mailing addresses as they were originally intended:
So there you have it! This has been five reasons to send holiday cards this year! Now that you're totally convinced, visit www.manic-snail.com to select only the snarkiest greetings for your weirdo friends.
*In a "win, win, win" situation, we all win.